- Additional Feature Requests
- General License Statement
The leading ADSB Receiver for Android!!
This app enables your device to receive live ADSB data (978 MHz UAT and 1090 MHz ES). All you need is a supported USB dongle and an OTG cable, both available from various sources on the internet for less than $20.-.
Available in the Android store as a free version (which requires the app to be restarted once a certain amount of frames have been received) and as an unlimited "Pro" version. No subscription required!
Use this app to provide live ADSB data to Avare! All data received (traffic and weather) will be made available automatically, once Avare has been detected. (Make sure to enable "Use ADSB Weather" in Avare.)
Attach a supported USB dongle to your Android device by using an OnTheGo (OTG) cable. Make sure your device supports OTG! Start the app and allow access to the dongle. You should see packages flowing in quickly, depending on your location.
List of supported and recommended tuners:
- Rafael Micro R820T
- Rafael Micro R820T2
Supported but not recommended (low performance):
- Elonics E4000
- Fitipower FC0013
FC0013 often has limits close to 1090 MHz, which will reduce the performance to receive ADSB data.
- NooElec NESDR Nano 3 (R820T2)
- NooElec NESDR Nano 2+ (R820T2)
- NooElec NESDR Mini 2+ (R820T2)
- NooElec NESDR Mini 2 (R820T2)
- NooElec NESDR Mini SDR (R820T)
Example OTG adapter/cable:
- 90 Degree Left Angled Micro USB 2.0 OTG Host Adapter (This adapter will allow you to provide power to the dongle - to avoid using the battery of your Android device)
- Generic Micro USB OTG Cable for Cellphone/Tablet
Please note: ADSB equipment is not yet mandatory in all countries. It will be for many aircraft in the United States by 2020 and in Europe by 2017. Until then, you might only see some of the categories listed below.
|Lighter Than Air||Skydiver|
|Ultralight||Unmanned Aerial Vehicle|
- Does this app require an active internet connection?
- No, all ADSB data is received over the air. It is in fact recommended to disable all network communications (enable flight mode) to save battery power. However, if you are using the internal Map, you will require an active internet connection.
- Does this app work globally?
- Yes. The free Avare GPS app currently supports USA and Canada for flying. It also provides non-current ONC charts for Western Europe (Iceland, UK, France, Sweden, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, ...), South Asia (India not complete) and New Zealand. (more to be added)
- Is it required to "root" the Android device for this app?
- I see data coming in on the "Data" screen, but the map is still empty?
- Just wait a bit longer. Various single frames need to be received, in order to display the data on the map.
- Does this app work from the "ground"?
- Yes. You will receive 1090 MHz ES (Traffic) very easy but 978 MHz UAT (Traffic / Weather) reception can be limited.
- Will this app keep receiving data while the device is in sleep mode?
- This depends on the device and the related Android configuration. Some devices will continue (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S3), some not (e.g. Asus TF300T).
- Show additional details about aircraft
- Allow data to be sent to the local network
- Warn if other aircraft is too close
- Option(s) to configure which aircraft to display on map
- Show ES squawk codes
- Set ICAO and use ADSB-received altitude for ownship message
- Option to extend timeout
- Replay debug data
- Show planes on ground for ES (already implemented for UAT)
- Show number of UAT towers in use
- Show UAT tower location
- PPM tuning
- Exit confirmation "are you sure"
HIZ LLC, Michael Hammer
Copyright (C) 2014-2017, all rights reserved
- rtl_tcp_andro (Martin Marinov)
- android-rtlsdr (Kees Jongenburger)
- rtl-sdr (Steve Markgraf, Dimitri Stolnikov, Hoernchen, Kyle Keen, Pavel Vasilyev)
- dump1090.c (Salvatore Sanfilippo)
- dump978.c (Oliver Jowett)
- DecodingADSBposition.html (Edward Cardew)
- adsb.js (Myles Grant)
- Document 1090-WP-14-09R1 (RTCA special committee 186)
- Document SBS-Description-Doc_SRT_47_rev01_20111024 (FAA)
The rtl-sdr and dump978 related work is licensed under GPL. METAR report decoding is covered under LGPL. All other parts are licensed under FreeBSD. Please refer to the links and the header of each source file for details.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
- It is not guaranteed that this app will always use a `Google Map`. The map implementation may change at any time.
- This app will not collect any personal data.
- Google Terms of Service