- Additional Feature Requests
- General License Statement
The leading ADSB Receiver for Android!!
This app enables your device to receive live ADSB data (978 MHz UAT and 1090 MHz ES). All you need is a supported USB dongle and an OTG cable, both available from various sources on the internet for less than $20.-.
Available in the Android store as a free version (which requires the app to be restarted once a certain amount of frames have been received) and as an unlimited "Pro" version. No subscription required!
Use this app to provide live ADSB data (traffic and weather) to Avare:
- In Avare ADSB
- Enable "GDL90" (you do not need to enable the "Destination" option)
- In Avare
- Enable "Use ADSB Weather"
- Open the "IO" tab and select "WiFi" at the top
- Set port to 4000 and enable "Listen"
Download Avare to receive Nexrad weather and standard METAR, TAF, PIREP, WINDS, etc. reports!
Attach a supported USB dongle to your Android device by using an OnTheGo (OTG) cable. Make sure your device supports OTG! Start the app and allow access to the dongle. You should see packages flowing in quickly, depending on your location.
Click on an aircraft in the "Traffic" view to show it on the map - or open the "Map" view directly. Clicking on the text-box after selecting an aircraft on the map will provide additional details.
Do not use any battery-saving modes if you need the app to run in the background!
You can save all data received to local files or forward it to most GDL90 compatible apps, e.g. Avare, iFlyGPS, FltPlanGo, DroidEFB, ...
The app can also receive data from external systems in dump1090/dump978 (AVR) format on UDP port 47909.
You need two things:
- RTL SDR based USB dongle with Antenna
- OTG cable or adapter
Antennas - better performance compared to the stock versions:
Example OTG adapters/cables:
- JSAUX USB-C to USB 3.0 OTG Adapter
- 90 Degree Left Angled microUSB 2.0 OTG Host Adapter (This adapter will allow you to provide power to the dongle, to avoid using the battery of your Android device)
List of supported and recommended tuners:
- Rafael Micro R820T
- Rafael Micro R820T2 (R860)
Not recommended or not supported:
- Elonics E4000 (will almost never work)
- Fitipower FC0013 (very low performance)
- Fitipower FC0012
Please note: ADSB equipment is not mandatory to be used in all countries. It is for many aircraft in the United States and Europe.
|Lighter Than Air||Skydiver|
|Ultralight||Unmanned Aerial Vehicle|
- Does this app require an active internet connection?
- No, all ADSB data is received over the air. It is in fact recommended to disable all network communications (enable flight mode) to save battery power. However, if you are using the internal Map, you will require an active internet connection.
- Does this app work everywhere?
- Yes, Avare ADSB works globally.
The free Avare app provides FAA aviation materials for the United States, plus non-current TPC and ONC charts for Canada and most of the world.
- Yes, Avare ADSB works globally.
- Is it required to "root" the Android device for this app?
- I see data coming in on the "Data" screen, but the map is still empty?
- Just wait a bit longer. Various single frames need to be received, in order to display the data on the map.
- Does this app work from the "ground"?
- Yes. You will receive 1090 MHz ES (Traffic) very easy but 978 MHz UAT (Traffic / Weather) reception can be limited.
- Will this app keep receiving data while the device is in sleep mode?
- This depends on the device and the related Android configuration. Some devices will continue (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S3), some not (e.g. Asus TF300T).
- I cannot open the map or other windows in the app, what may cause this?
- Verify if you have "Don't keep Activities" enabled in the Developer Options, or are limiting Android Activities in any other way.
- Option(s) to configure which aircraft to display on map
- Option(s) to configure which aircraft to display in Traffic view (search/sorting)
- Warn if other aircraft is too close
- Customizable audio alert if specific aircraft is showing up or getting within a certain range
- Set ICAO and use ADSB-received altitude for ownship message
- Show number of UAT towers in use
- Show UAT tower location
- PPM tuning
HIZ LLC, Michael Hammer
Copyright (C) 2014-2022, all rights reserved
- rtl_tcp_andro (Martin Marinov)
- android-rtlsdr (Kees Jongenburger)
- rtl-sdr (Steve Markgraf, Dimitri Stolnikov, Hoernchen, Kyle Keen, Pavel Vasilyev)
- dump1090.c (Salvatore Sanfilippo)
- dump978.c (Oliver Jowett)
- DecodingADSBposition.html (Edward Cardew)
- adsb.js (Myles Grant)
- Document 1090-WP-14-09R1 (RTCA special committee 186)
- Document SBS-Description-Doc_SRT_47_rev01_20111024 (FAA)
The rtl-sdr and dump978 related work is licensed under GPL. METAR report decoding is covered under LGPL. All other parts are licensed under FreeBSD. Please refer to the links and the header of each source file for details.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
HIZ LLC and its developers take your privacy very seriously. This app does not collect, transmit, distribute or sell your data.